perston

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Yanni -my greek friend from Oxford- left. Yanni, the Greek Robin Hood who shoots arrows and studies AIDS. We -my friends, Yanni and his Indian friends- had a good time at Caprice. It is funny that it was the first time I went there, the first time since I arrived. It reminded me of BarRisa and the last night I was in Oxford, of my Goodbye night. They played that stupid greek song "undercover" and I was about to cry. They also played some persian and turkish music. But I was miles away I guess. I was in oxford, dancing with the same songs in the MCR at St Peters' College. I am now streched between MIT and Oxford. I was just thinking about it, about when I will possibly get over Oxford. Never I suppose. It was not about the photos that Yanni showed me, it was not about those faces that I miss, it was not even about the songs. It was about the turning point of my life in St Peters'. It was about Me becoming. It was about me and my Kooch. I couldn't have gotten a better place for my first flight, my first kooch. Now, it has been almost four months that I am struggling with this nostalgia, trying -and actually managing- to fit into the American life, trying to become again. But it is not the same. It has been great, I have no complaints. On the contrary, I am loving it. But it is nothing like what I had back then. There was something unique about that city, about the history, the culture, even traditions. It was so me. I cannot be more grateful for Oxford having happened in my life. And now, Yanni left, and just like that, Oxford is gone from MIT. It is weird, I feel like going back to my photo albums tonight, I miss Shiva, I miss Naty, and I miss a cup of mint tea at Tarbouch. They even played some of the Arabic songs of Tarbouch tonight, the ones which Shiva and I loved. It all happened in two days. Just like that, my life has taken a different direction, a great one indeed. I wouldn't change it for anything. But I now know that wherever you go, you take memos with you. My memo from oxford however, is a beautiful life that I -quite miraculously- lived in such a short time...

It is weird I suppose, but it means a lot to be able to share stuff with people. I was just telling Yanni and Shiva how sad it is that no one at MIT knows how it feels to eat in the hall, to wear those long black gowns, to wear subfask at the time of exams, to eat at the High Table on Tuesday nights, to go to Rod Cam, and to live at St Margaret's House. No one at MIT know George the head Porter, or Paul, the kind fat porter with that big smile on his face. No one knows how stinky the TV room of the MCR is. This is why I felt so at home when Yanni visited us. I was just telling Shiva how I feel when I think about having all these friends all over the planet. I look at the world map, and feel safe and happy when I see I have amazing friends on each spot. Friends who know what a difference stepping in Gloucester Green Station can make in your life.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home