perston

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"Let not talk of chains or things we cannot untie..."*

"...your hair upon the pillow like a sleepy golden storm,
yes, many loved before us, I know that we are not new,
in city and in forest they smiled like me and you,
but now it's come to distances and both of us must try,
your eyes are soft with sorrow,
Hey, that's no way to say goodbye..."

* Leonard Cohen



The wind, the wind again. I walk by the river and look at the sailing boats, lingering seductively in the hands of the wind. I envy their light-headedness. Cambridge is awaiting another season pretty soon. I should get prepared for the falling leaves. Sooner than you know, will come the indian summer. Though I am still stuck in these sticky nights of my first summer in Cambridge. I am stuck in a sticky dream, a vast moment, a vivid Déjà vu. The more I want to slip away, the more I get stuck. Too good a moment to let go, I said to the wind. Little did the wind care. I wish summer would never end. I should have known, should have known moments could become larger than life.
I shall write one day, stories of a life that I never lived. I shall look one day, at this river thinking to myself how many moments I let go by. I will listen one day, to all the songs that are playing in my head these days, and nostalgia will seep into my heart. I will think one day, of all the thoughts I ever fought, and will smile perhaps, thinking how young I have once been. I will try one day, to remember how exactly I felt once I knew I was living unlived moments that were not supposed to be the way they were. I will go one day, to every place I once loved, and will try to make sense of who I have been in those very moments of mingling with life, as if tomorrow would never arrive. I will smile one day, when I think of how broad a moment could be, when you lived it fully to the end. I will cry one day, when I think of how brief a moment could be, when it was too good to be true. I will come back one day, for sure, for "I will always have cambridge"...



4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam orkideh joonam,
dobareh manam Nakisa. vaghean aali bood. gahi vaghti neveshtehato mikhoonam mooham sikh sikh misheh. man pichideh nistam va sadeh harfamo mizanam. omidvaram khoob va khosh bashi har jaye donya ke hasti. mohem iine ke delet bozorgeh.
ghorboonet beram.Nakisa

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orkideh

Fekr nemikoanm shoma mano beshnasin. man az madreseye farzanegan hastam va ye sal az shoma paiin tar boodam. esmam Negin Beyhaghi hast. ettefaghi neveshtehatoono peida kardam va taghriban hafteii mikhoonameshoon. nemidoonin che ehsase khoobi behem dast mide. manam mesle shoma dooram too Chicago zendegi mikonam.

omidvaram movaffagh bashin

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Amir said...

Dear Orkideh,

I just wanted to drop you a line and congratulate you for the good job you did at the Mehregan Seminar. My wife and I thought that your talk was the most relevant talk, for the audience there and you gave a nice and positive spin to some immigration dilemmas.
I also enjoyed your piece on “Presence, Omnipresence” and share your point of view.
I too enjoy the unrestricted sense of belonging … and having lived in many countries and places, feel as if I have many homes.
But unfortunately I don’t think many people in this world feel the same, and people are fighting and dieing over it every day….
I think maybe that is the Nature of human being, to be possessive and territorial?! Maybe it started from cavemen and the way they protected their caves from intruders! For if they would stay out, they would not survive!
Maybe that’s how it evolved to become nationalism! …
(These are all my speculations I am no socioanthropologist)

I wish you success in your scientific and cultural research and endeavor.

Regards,

A.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger RezB said...

I stumbled on your blog through a link on the Mehregan site. I have to say that I'm very impressed with your writing style. . .it's very elegant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home