perston

Monday, June 12, 2006

The Ugly Duckling...

MIT's graduation ceremony was a blast. It was beautiful, my first time in a US commencement ceremony. Mira, Takis, Dimitri, Hazhir, Maryam, Rouzbeh and many other friends were marching in those long gowns (well, I need to switch my vocabulary: robes, as they are called here), and joy and pride was floating in the air. The class of 1956 were there too, for the 50th anniversary of their graduation, all in red jackets. It was moving to watch them, having made it to here, to Killian Court again. There were only few ladies among them.


yesterday, we lost the game to Mexico, there is more to the world cup tension though than just games. While watching the game, me and my fellow Iranians, were reminded on and on how political a world we live in. It was very unprofessional on the commentator's part, to constantly summarize Iran's political issues instead of reporting the game. It was distracting and humiliating. I don't understand this. Neither do I understand this crazy world anymore; how people kill people and no one does anything; how those written-on-stone- (and paper) rules of the international organizations are of no use or meaning in our world; how paranoia has taken over; and how we have become so numb, so de-sentisized to all this. We live in this paranoid schizophrenic world -or rather panoptican- of fear and terror, and nothing explains it. Games over games, and I cannot make sense of it anymore.

4 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your webblog :)
I think you are kind and strong :)

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought reading the article below might make you feel better. This is what I wrote about Dave O'Brien -the announcer of Iran-Mexico match - in wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_O%27Brien

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam orkideh joon, rafti dige hagi hagi makkeh? chetori?

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bebakhshid oon peighame"salam orkideh joon, rafti dige hagi hagi makkeh? chetori? " male man bood. nakisa from London

 

Post a Comment

<< Home